Sunday, January 15, 2012

Frocking the husband

I promised the husband a tailcoat. Silly me! I had planned on using Butterick 3648, but when I went to go cut out the pattern pieces for the jacket, I realized I only had it in the XS/S/M size. The husband has a 42" chest. I'm guessing I bought the smaller size because I was thinking about doing Victorian drag at some point. The pattern is out of print, of course! I made a trip to the store, and the only tailcoat pattern I could find is a silly costume-y one for Uncle Sam, but I worked with it, added lining, and actually came out with a piece that made both of us happy.

champagne tails back

I used a champagne colored brocade that I scored at Goodwill last month when we braved the Day after Christmas sale.

champagne tails front

I found a rich chocolate brown lining fabric that complemented the brocade beautifully.

Of course there have to be buttons!

champagne tails buttons

And chain

champagne tails back buttons

So another step up in my confidence level of sewing things for people other than myself has been achieved.


No comments: