Friday, November 8, 2013

The Steampunk Pied Piper

Last year my wonderful, patient husband took charge of not only my own munchkin but 5 other children of other merchants during Steamcon.  This year we decided to coordinate his costume with his cat herding activities, and I made him a Steampunk Pied Pier-esque outfit.  I started with an old wool coat, tail'd it, and then covered it in patches using embroidery floss.

Steampunk pied piper in progress front

Steampunk pied piper in progress back

After the first few went on, I asked my husband if he thought it was too much and he told me it wasn't enough.  Okay, then!

Steampunk pied piper front

Steampunk pied piper back

I also made him a hat with gramophone horns coming out of the back that we rigged with a bluetooth speaker so he could wander down the hallways playing music with kids following him dancing.  Unfortunately the kids were all much more self-sufficient this year, and the hat turned out really heavy so he didn't wear it much.  The only picture I got was after he'd traded it in for his more mundane, non-music playing topper.

Steamcon V

He enjoyed the outfit, though, and that's what counts.



...

No comments: