Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's the little things

One of the problems I've had with making a successful go at running this business is that I don't like remaking the same thing. This means I have oodles of very different pieces, a high percentage of them being one of a kind.  That makes it hard for me to get brand recognition going.  There are lots of amazing people doing amazing things, and their work is immediately recognizable once you become familiar with their work and style.  My shop is a mishmash of totally different styles.

There are some exceptions, of course, mainly my knot necklaces.



But these only make up maybe 10-15% of my stock.

I do have a few pieces that are similar because I start with the same base, but I still don't seem to be able to  make myself exactly recreate the same piece.  Take for example this parasol I just finished up last night:



This is actually the third of these created, but each one has been just a little bit different.

Pink Parasol with Ivory Lace

pink ivory lolita parasol 2

Here's the same color parasol with a different contrast color:



And here's the same style of parasol in some different colors:



black on black lace parasol 2

red parasol black lace 1

purple spiderweb parasol

I like knowing my customers aren't each getting something exactly like something another customer got previously.  I like changing things up, just a little, instead of reproducing the same thing over and over and over.  It does make things a bit more difficult for me, but I think the end result is worth it.


~

No comments: