Sunday, October 2, 2011

More adventures in hat making

This fall, Target had floppy felted wool hats. They had horrible knitted hat bands that were luckily sewed on so they came off easily. I splurged and got both a brown and a black one for bases, and started modding the black one last weekend for one of my outfits for Steamcon:

Black wool hat in progress

I sewed some wire around the edge of the brim, and covered it over with silver ribbon, then bent the wire into shape and tacked it down at the front and back of the crown and at the bend on the front and back.

Black wool hat in progress

Black wool hat in progress

Still a bit bare, so I used some more silver ribbon to add diagonal bands on either side. I got stuck at one point, as Miss Nellie decided my ribbon card made a good pillow.

Black wool hat in progress

Some feathers and an old brooch added the final touch:

Black wool hat

(It's only fair that Nellie models it, after lying on my ribbons, right?)

Meanwhile, the husband dug out the four Nerf Mavericks he's acquired at various points in the last year, and started taking them apart for modding. He had some help:

Gun disassembly

Gun disassembly

By this time two weeks from now, Steamcon will be over again. Hard to believe!



~

No comments: