Sunday, January 10, 2010

A year in the making, day 131

Today, I conducted my first experiment in antique-ing silver, and it was a smashing success, I believe. I found a lovely chunk of citrine in a lot of estate jewelry I acquired for the vintage jewelry shop, capped in sterling silver, but the silver was pretty tarnished and I couldn't get the shine all the way back. So, I decided I'd make the rest of the necklace match!

I'd read before on antique-ing techniques, which involved things like liver of sulfur, but recently I was told that you can just seal it in a ziplock bag with a hard-boiled egg, smash the egg, and leave it sit.

Here's the necklace when I finished it at about 10:30 this morning:

Citrine necklace, before antique-ing

And here's how it looks now, after six hours of being egg-sat:

Citrine necklace, after antique-ing

I also got better pictures of last week's items, so they're now listed in my Etsy and Artfire shops:

Red Garnet Tassle Necklace on Sterling Silver Chain



Labradorite and Celtic Knot Y Necklace on Sterling Silver



Faceted Garnet and Freshwater Pearl Dangle Earrings on Sterling Silver



Rose Quartz and Freshwater Pearl Earrings on Sterling Silver

3 comments:

AdroitJewelers said...

The necklace looks great, Victoria. Nice pics, too.

Made By Tammy said...

Very Cool!

Angie's Design Shop said...

Beautiful pieces!!! I just learned about oxidizing silver with eggs. I can't wait to try it!