Saturday, July 27, 2013

A visit to New Orleans

I lived in New Orleans, Louisiana for almost 9 years.  I moved down there for college, having received a scholarship to the University of New Orleans, and life just happened. It was a great decade.  I was young, and it is a town for the young.  I worked in and around the French Quarter for the majority of that time, three and a half of it at a boutique one block off of Bourbon Street (no longer there, we discovered on this trip - sadness).  I attended my first conventions and started costuming while I lived there, as well as met my husband (We were both members of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy book club.  Punch my geek card, thank you very much!)

We spent a long week there last week, and it has been determined that I've become a huge wimp when it comes to to the heat and humidity of a southern summer.  I was never all that happy about it when I lived there, and I've acclimated nicely to the temperate Puget Sound region in the last 15 years.

We did lots of sight-seeing, both of nostalgic places to us (like our first apartment and the first bead store I ever bought supplies at) and touristy places like the Aquarium, St. Louis Cemetary, and Blain Kern's Mardi Gras world.  I've hardly begun editing the pictures yet, but here's a few teasers.


Mask by *dbvictoria on deviantART


Jester by *dbvictoria on deviantART


A row of crosses by *dbvictoria on deviantART

I've got about 500 shots to go through, and some costuming stuff to do beforehand.  Well, and housecleaning, but we won't talk about that. 



~

No comments: