Saturday, February 27, 2010

A day in pictures

And this'll qualify as A year in the making day 176, too, as I've posted a couple of today's pictures to my DeviantArt account.

Today we took a walk here, pretty much specifically so I could play with the new camera:


Arboretum Waterfront Trail by *dbvictoria on deviantART

It was raining, but if we let that stop us we'd never get out!

A walk in the park.

Rainy day

A walk along a graveled path with lots of trees ...

Tree & Water

Water at the arboretum

Tree knothole

and a crow vying with the ducks for nibbles

Birdbath

and then you reach a bridge

Bridge

and go through more growth, just starting to bud and flower:

Mossy tree

Flowers


Red Berries by *dbvictoria on deviantART

You cross under the interstate, in an echoing cement tunnel, and you're on the shores of Lake Washington, with Husky stadium visible across the water

Husky Stadium

There's a great promontory for dog wading and stick chasing:

Fetch!

(a friendly dog-walker let our munchkin help throw sticks for her water spaniel to fetch)

Fetch!

The Arboretum Waterfront Trail

Fetch!

and watch folks canoe or kayak past you:

Kayak crew

Kayak crew

You walk along the water for a bit, and there's a lookout point

The lookout

And then you can walk out over the water on the floating path

The Arboretum Waterfront Trail

After about an hour out there, we were tired and happy and COLD! So we headed to one of our favorite restaurants to warm up, Taste of India, in the University District.

Best Indian food in town

I've got a bad habit of always ordering the same thing when I go out, so the past year I've been making a concerted effort to try different things. Every other time we've gone here, I've had the coconut curry with lamb, so this time I got wild and had the shahi korma with fish. I'm not sorry I branched out in the slightest. We still started off the meal with garlic nan, though. And the best and most dangerous thing about going here?

Chai!

The bottomless cup of chai. Think about ordering coffee at a diner from the best, most attentive waitress ever. Well, they're even better at keeping you topped off. I'll be up till dawn, I'm sure. I probably had about six cups. Chai is one of my vices.

So there it is, an afternoon with my family and my new baby. And a couple hours of photo editing and posting. Go me.

No comments: