Friday, October 9, 2009

A Year in the Making, Day 39

I have all the display pieces set up for tomorrow's Penumbra Faire. It was an in-service day at the munchkin's school, so she came out with me. She was an angel, but there was a dangling bribe of lunch at Red Robin if she was good.

We got home, and I finally finished up a gown I'd started for her this summer. The plan was originally for her to wear this to the first weekend of the Washington Ren/Fantasy Festival, but the weekend we were all going to go and camp out was the weekend where temperatures were forecast to be 110+, so even though it was cotton, it would probably still be too hot for her. So it's been sitting minus closure ever since.

Here's what it looked like originally:



She wasn't that enthused by the gown actually. It wasn't pink. What is it with little girls and pink? So it had a session with a package of RIT dye and the washing machine and came out a rather ashes-of-roses shade. Not true pink, so mother approves. V2 Farms, where the faire will be this weekend, is rather windy, so now I'm worried about her being warm enough. I'd found a piece of a dark red cotton velvet in my stash when looking for the stripey fabric earlier this week, not quite 2 yards, and I whipped up a short cloak for her out of it, just finishing a few minutes ago. I'm rather proud of it, as I made it completely without any pattern whatsoever, and it came out beautifully! It fastens with a pewter clasp I picked up at JoAnn's of all places.





There may or may not be posts for this weekend, depending on how busy I am and how much energy I have left when I get home each evening. But on Monday there should be lost of new shinies to show off, as that's how I occupy myself in the down times at events.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She looks so cute!